!-- Google Tag Manager -->

Translations: The Case For Being Savvy

Translations: The Case For Being Savvy

For many brands, the prospect of translating is a big scary one.

It is human nature to be afraid of something you do not know or understand, but firms should view the localization process as an opportunity to hone a message and dispense with unnecessary information. 

Is the translation necessary? 

According to the American Translators Association (ATA), a French company was able to trim a manual from 500 pages to only 230 after employing the services of an expert translator. This was because much of the material was found to be superfluous and didn’t apply to foreign clients before starting the job.

This raises a key point when it comes to marketing in different countries, as not all information will need to be translated. Instead, companies are far better off translating only relevant sections of existing documents to produce shorter, more digestible texts. As part of this process, you should decide which information is actually required in order to convey the right message.

The power of visuals

Visual content works and so brands should never miss an opportunity to engage a target audience through its use. Better still, ATA pointed out the judicious use of maps, pictograms and diagrams can work much better with international audiences. 

“Your translator’s job will be easier; there will be less risk of stumbling over the precise technical term. And your translation bill will probably be lower,” the group stated. 

It used Ikea as a perfect example of the use of pictorial marketing, as its guides are largely word free to account for the fact it has 316 stores in 38 countries representing 25 different languages. Some 80 per cent of instructions are pictures only, with the remaining 20 per cent text that is required to communicate safety information. 

The bottom line is translation offers brands the opportunity to be savvy with their message and streamline their marketing materials where possible. So, what are you waiting for?

Get in contact

Just add a few details about your company, your project and what you are trying to achieve and one of our global content specialists will rapidly get in contact to answer any questions or issue a quote. Rest assured, your contact details remain 100% secured. We do not distribute to 3rd parties. Privacy policy

Prefer to talk? Call us on +66 (0)2 637 8060 (Thailand) | +65 6832 5969 (Singapore) | +856 30 5656 600 (Laos)

or email us at marketing@eqho.com

For freelance collaborations, please contact our Global Resource Mangement at outsource@eqho.com

More » Content

Contact Us